- •Prehospital prediction of massive transfusion reduces delays in resuscitation.
- •Many factors reported to predict a massive transfusion protocol (MTP) are not available during flight transport.
- •In this study, whole blood, systolic blood pressure, and Glasgow Coma Scale score accurately predicted MTP in trauma patients.
- •Three factors available during flight are of clinical utility in MTP prediction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American College of Surgeons. ACS TQIP massive transfusion in trauma guidelines. Available at: https://www.facs.org/-/media/files/quality-programs/trauma/tqip/transfusion_guildelines.ashx. Accessed April 13, 2022.
- Shorter times to packed red blood cell transfusion are associated with decreased risk of death in traumatically injured patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 81: 458-462
- Massive transfusion protocol in adult trauma population.Am J Emerg Med. 2020; 38: 2661-2666
- Accuracy of shock index versus ABC score to predict need for massive transfusion in trauma patients.Injury. 2018; 49: 15-19
- Shock index increase from the field to the emergency room is associated with higher odds of massive transfusion in trauma patients with stable blood pressure: a cross-sectional analysis.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0216153
- The use of ABC score in activation of massive transfusion: the yin and the yang.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 298-302
- Early prediction of massive transfusion in trauma: simple as ABC (Assessment of Blood Consumption)?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2009; 66: 346-352
- Multicenter validation of a simplified score to predict massive transfusion in trauma.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2010; 69: S33
- Review of existing scoring systems for massive blood transfusion in trauma patients: where do we stand?.Shock. 2019; 52: 288-299
- The massive transfusion score as a decision aid for resuscitation: learning when to turn the massive transfusion protocol on and off.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 80: 450-456
- Combination of blood lactate level with assessment of blood consumption (ABC) scoring system: a more accurate predictor of massive transfusion requirement.Chin J Traumatol. 2018; 21: 96-99
- The ABC-D score improves the sensitivity in predicting need for massive transfusion in pediatric trauma patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 331-334
- Reverse shock index multiplied by Glasgow coma scale as a predictor of massive transfusion in trauma.Am J Emerg Med. 2021; 46: 404-409
- Blood on board: the development of a prehospital blood transfusion program in a Canadian helicopter emergency medical service.CJEM. 2019; 21: 365-373
- Appropriate and safe utilization of helicopter emergency medical services: a joint position statement with resource document.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013; 17: 521-525
- Helicopter transport improves survival following injury in the absence of a time-saving advantage.Surgery. 2016; 159: 947-959
- Survival benefit of helicopter emergency medical services compared to ground emergency medical services in traumatized patients.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R124
- A comparison between the ability of Revised Trauma Score and Kampala Trauma Score in predicting mortality; a meta-analysis.Arch Acad Emerg Med. 2019; 7: e6
- Revised trauma score: a triage tool in the accident and emergency department.Injury. 1991; 22: 35-37
- Revised trauma scoring system to predict in-hospital mortality in the emergency department: Glasgow Coma Scale, age, and systolic blood pressure score.Crit Care. 2011; 15: R191