Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Helicopter transport of trauma patients improves survival irrespective of transport time.Am Surg. 2021; 87: 538-542
- Association between helicopter vs ground emergency medical services and survival for adults with major trauma.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1602-1610
- Helicopter emergency medical services for adults with major trauma.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015CD009228
- Helicopter air ambulance services.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2019; 32: 252-256
- Occupant injury severity and accident causes in helicopter emergency medical services (1983-2014).Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2016; 87: 26-31
- EMS helicopter crashes: what influences fatal outcome?.Ann Emerg Med. 2006; 47: 351-356
Improving EMS worker safety in the patient compartment. 2017. Available at: https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/R-Tech_Improving-EMS-Worker-Safety-Patient-Compartment_%20Sept2017-508.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2022.
- Occupational fatalities in emergency medical services: a hidden crisis.Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 40: 625-632
- Fatal and nonfatal injuries among emergency medical technicians and paramedics.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011; 15: 511-517
- True costs of air medical vs. ground ambulance systems.Air Med J. 1993; 12: 262-268
14 CFR Part 119, 121, 135 (2010).
House of Representatives. FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. Pub L No 95. 126 Stat. 11: 112th Congress; 2012.
- Seat belt use in the ambulance patient compartment by emergency medical services professionals is low regardless of patient presence, seating position, or patient acuity.J Safety Res. 2019; 71: 173-180
- An analysis of ambulance accidents in Tennessee.JAMA. 1987; 258: 1487-1490
National Transportation Safety Board. Data from: CAROL Query. 1983-2020. Available at: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-public/landing-pagelast. Accessed November 3, 2022.
- Helicopter air ambulance mandatory flight operations report.Helicopter Air Ambulance. 2021;
- A safety review and risk assessment in air medical transport.Air Med J. 2002; 21: 1-63
- Systems safety risk analysis of fatal night helicopter emergency medical service accidents.Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2019; 90: 396-404
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Motor vehicle traffic crashes involving an ambulance by year and crash severity. 1988-2020. Available at: https://cdan.nhtsa.gov/tsftables/tsfar.htm. Accessed March 24, 2022.
National Emergency Medical Services Information System. EMS Data Cube. 2014-2020. Available at: https://nemsis.org/view-reports/public-reports/ems-data-cube/. Accessed September 10, 2022.
Pt 830. Notification and Reporting of Aircraft Accidents or Incidents and Overdue Aircraft, and Preservation of Aircraft Wreckage, Mail, Cargo, and records. Title 49 Subtitle B Chapter VIII (1988).
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. General Estimates System. Available at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/national-automotive-sampling-system/nass-general-estimates-system. Accessed June 1, 2022.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Fatality Analysis Reporting System. Available at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/crash-data-systems/fatality-analysis-reporting-system. Accessed June 1, 2022.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Crash Report Sampling System. Available at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/crash-data-systems/crash-report-sampling-system. Accessed June 1, 2022.
- Is use of warning lights and sirens associated with increased risk of ambulance crashes? A contemporary analysis using National EMS Information System (NEMSIS) data.Ann Emerg Med. 2019; 74: 101-109
- National EMS Database: NEMSIS Public Release Research Data Set User Manual.NEMSIS, Salt Lake City, UT2020
Levick, N. R. (2007). Emergency medical services: A transportation safety emergency. Paper presented at American Society of Safety Engineers’ Professional Development Conference, June 24-27, 2007; Orlando, FL. Available at https://www.objectivesafety.net/2007ASSE628Levick.pdf. Accessed November 4, 2022.
- Relative risk of injury and death in ambulances and other emergency vehicles.Accid Anal Prev. 2003; 35: 941-948
- Characteristics of fatal ambulance crashes in the United States: an 11-year retrospective analysis.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2001; 5: 261-269
- EMS Ground Transport Safety.StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island, FL2022
- Comparison of crashes involving ambulances with those of similar-sized vehicles.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2005; 9: 412-415
- Ambulance crash characteristics in the US defined by the popular press: a retrospective analysis.Emerg Med Int. 2010; 2010525979
- Ambulance collisions in an urban environment.Prehosp Disaster Med. 1994; 9: 118-124
- The use of emergency lights and sirens by ambulances and their effect on patient outcomes and public safety: a comprehensive review of the literature.Prehosp Disaster Med. 2017; 32: 209-216
Safety Study - Commercial Emergency Medical Service Helicopter Operations (National Transportation Safety Board) 1-132; 1988. Available at: https://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/safety-studies/SS88-01.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2022.
Special Investigation Report on Emergency Medical Services Operations. 2006. Available at: https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SIR0601.pdfhttps://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SIR0601.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2022.
- Probable cause in helicopter emergency medical services crashes: what role does ownership play?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: 989-993
- A review of risk analysis and helicopter air ambulance accidents.Air Med J. 2014; 33: 218-221
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Head Impact Protection. 49 CFR Parts 571, 572, 589.
- Equipment: federal specification, ambulance KKK-A-1822.Emerg Med Serv. 1976; 5: 60-64
- NFPA 1917 Standard for Automotive Ambulances.National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA2019
Thomas FD, Graham LA, Wright TJ, Almeida R, Blomberg RD, Benlemlih M. Characterizing Ambulance Driver Training in EMS Systems (Report No. DOT HS 812 862). National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; 2019.
Title 14 CFR Part 91. In: Aviation CoIC, editor. 14.
- More safety regulation on HEMS around the corner.Air Med J. 2010; 29: 108-109
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NIOSH continues research to improve safety for ambulance service workers and EMS responders. 2011-190. August 2011. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-190/. Accessed November 3, 2022.
National Emergency Medical Services Assessment (National Association of State EMS Officials [NASEMSO]), 2020, 1\055234. Available at: https://nasemso.org/wp-content/uploads/2020-National-EMS-Assessment_Reduced-File-Size.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2022.
2011 National EMS Assessment (Federal Interagency Committee on Emergency Medical Services) 1-560 (2011). Available at: https://www.ems.gov/pdf/811723-national-ems-assessment-2011.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2022.
- Do warning lights and sirens reduce ambulance response times?.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2000; 4: 70-74
- Is ambulance transport time with lights and siren faster than that without?.Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 25: 507-511
- Utilization of warning lights and siren based on hospital time-critical interventions.Prehosp Disaster Med. 2010; 25: 335-339
- Safety Management System. Order 8000369C2020.Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC2016