Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Does needle thoracostomy provide adequate and effective decompression of tension pneumothorax?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 1412-1417
- Chest wall thickness and decompression failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis comparing anatomic locations in needle thoracostomy.Injury. 2016; 47: 797-804
- Needle thoracostomy in the treatment of a tension pneumothorax in trauma patients: what size needle?.J Trauma. 2008; 64: 111-114
- Pre-hospital and in-hospital thoracostomy: indications and complications.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2008; 90: 54-57
- Complications in tube thoracostomy: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 410
- Complications associated with pre-hospital open thoracostomies: a rapid review.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2021; 29: 1-7
- Management of suspected tension pneumothorax in tactical combat casualty care: TCCC guidelines change 17-02.J Spec Oper Med. 2018; 18: 19-35
- National EMS scope of practice model (Report No. DOT HS 812-666).National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC2019
- BET1: pre-hospital finger thoracostomy in patients with traumatic cardiac arrest.Emerg Med J. 2017; 34: 417-418
- BET 2: pre-hospital finger thoracostomy in patients with chest trauma.Emerg Med J. 2017; 34: 419
- Safety and efficacy of thoracostomy in the air medical environment.Air Med J. 2016; 35: 227-230
- Simple thoracostomy. Moving beyond needle decompression in traumatic cardiac arrest.JEMS. 2014; 39: 26-32
- Four years of pre-hospital simple thoracostomy performed by a physician-paramedic helicopter emergency medical service team: a description and review of practice.Trauma. 2016; 18: 124-128
- Emergency medical services simple thoracostomy for traumatic cardiac arrest: postimplementation experience in a ground-based suburban/rural emergency medical services agency.J Emerg Med. 2018; 55: 366-371
- Finger thoracostomy in patients with chest trauma performed by paramedics on a helicopter emergency medical service.Emerg Med Australas. 2020; 32: 650-656
- Tube thoracostomy.Roberts and Hedges' Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine and Acute Care. 7th ed. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2019: 196-220
- Advanced Trauma Life Support: Student Course Manual.9th ed. American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL2012: 118-121
- Tube thoracostomy: complications and its management.Pulm Med. 2012; 2012256878
- The impact of stress on surgical performance: a systematic review of the literature.Surgery. 2010; 147: 318-330
- Stress and Human Performance.Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ2010
- Performance decrement under psychological stress.Hum Factors. 1964; 6: 21-30
- Engineering Psychology and Human Performance.Taylor & Francis, New York, NY2015
- Attention and Effort.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1973
- On cognitive processes under time stress: a selective review of the literature on time stress and related stress.Department of Psychology, University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden1989
- Emotion-induced changes in human medial prefrontal cortex: I. During cognitive task performance.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 683-687
- Roberts JR Hedges JR Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2010
- Advanced Trauma Life Support.9th ed. American College of Surgeons, Chicago, IL2012
- Vigilant and hypervigilant decision making.J Appl Psychol. 1997; 82: 614
- Decision-Making Under Stress: Emerging Themes and Applications.Routledge, Burlington, VT2017
- The impact of a mnemonic acronym on learning and performing a procedural task and its resilience toward interruptions.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 2522
- The magical number seven plus or minus two: some limits on our capacity for processing information.Psychol Rev. 1956; 63: 81-97
- Cadaver-based training is superior to simulation training for cricothyrotomy and tube thoracostomy.Intern Emerg Med. 2017; 12: 99-102
- Procedural instruction in invasive bedside procedures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of effective teaching approaches.BMJ Qual Saf. 2016; 25: 281-294
Lauria MJ. Emergency reflex action drills. EMCrit Blog. April 24, 2018. Available at: https://emcrit.org/emcrit/emergency-reflex-action-drills. Accessed March 16, 2022.
- Traumatic cardiac arrest.J R Soc Med. 2015; 108: 11-16
The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Medical College of Georgia, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.
The authors would like to thank and acknowledge Tyler Christifulli for design and use of the landmark graphic.