- •Helicopter auto-launch calls are sometimes canceled by land emergency medical services after dispatch.
- •Patients may still meet the trauma criteria and later undergo interfacility transfer.
- •76.2% of calls were canceled for not meeting the trauma bypass criteria.
- •16.5% of these were later transferred to a trauma hospital.
- •A multidisciplinary approach needed to reduce the undertriage of trauma patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A national evaluation of the effect of trauma-center care on mortality.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 366-378
- Survival of the fittest: the hidden cost of undertriage of major trauma.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 804-811
- Overuse of helicopter transport in the minimally injured: a health care system problem that should be corrected.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 510-515
Jackson R. Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. 2014. Available at: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/emergency_health/docs/ehs_training_blltn113_en.pdf. Accessed January 21, 2022.
- Making the call in the field: validating emergency medical services identification of anatomic trauma triage criteria.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2021; 90: 967-972
- Canceled to be called back: a retrospective cohort study of canceled helicopter emergency medical service scene calls that are later transferred to a trauma center.Air Med J. 2018; 37: 108-114
- The mortality benefit of direct trauma center transport in a regional trauma system: a population-based analysis.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72: 1510-1517
- Survival benefit of transfer to tertiary trauma centers for major trauma patients initially presenting to nontertiary trauma centers.Acad Emerg Med. 2010; 17: 1223-1232
- A population-based analysis of the discrepancy between potential and realized access to trauma center care.Ann Surg. 2013; 257: 160-165
- Faster on-scene times associated with decreased mortality in helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) transported trauma patients.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2017; 2e000122
- Transfer times to definitive care facilities are too long: a consequence of an immature trauma system.Ann Surg. 2005; 241: 961-968
- Association between prehospital time and outcome of trauma patients in 4 Asian countries: a cross-national, multicenter cohort study.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003360
- An audit of repeat testing at an academic medical center.Am J Clin Pathol. 2018; 150: 27-33
- Patients treated at multiple acute health care facilities: quantifying information fragmentation.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1989-1995
- Financial and clinical impact of transfer patients at major teaching hospitals.Acad Med. 2020; 95: 83-88
- A review of secondary interfacility trauma transfers meeting provincial prehospital trauma triage guidelines.CJEM. 2021; 23: 837-841
Li W, Mok G, Nolan B. Pre-hospital trauma triage: Outcomes of interfacility transferred trauma patients meeting pre-hospital triage criteria. Trauma. March 2022. doi:10.1177/14604086211064447.
- Accuracy of prehospital triage protocols in selecting severely injured patients: a systematic review.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 83: 328-339
- Trauma team activation: simplified criteria safely reduces overtriage.Am J Surg. 2007; 193: 630-635
- Impact of introducing a major trauma network on a regional helicopter emergency medicine service in the UK.Emerg Med J. 2014; 31: 844-850
- Improving overtriage of aeromedical transport in trauma: a regional process improvement initiative.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75: 92-96
Presented at the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians annual scientific conference 2022, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, May 26 to June 1, 2022.
The authors thank Mahvareh Ahghari and Shellah Budy for their assistance with data collection.