- •Prehospital cefazolin was not associated with anaphylactic reactions.
- •The inappropriate administration rate for prehospital cefazolin was low.
- •The overall open fracture and deep wound infection rate after prehospital cefazolin was 6%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in the management of open fractures: a critical analysis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 2739-2748
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis with combat-related open soft-tissue injuries.Mil Med. 2018; 183: e260-e265
- Prophylactic antibiotics in open fractures: a pilot randomized clinical safety study.J Orthop Trauma. 2013; 27: 552-557
- Evidence-based protocol for prophylactic antibiotics in open fractures: improved antibiotic stewardship with no increase in infection rates.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: 400-408
- Surgical site infections in patients with type 3 open fractures: comparing antibiotic prophylaxis with cefazolin plus gentamicin versus piperacillin/tazobactam.J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30: 415-419
- Infection and complications after low-velocity intra-articular gunshot injuries.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 330-333
- Prevention of infection in open fractures.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2017; 31: 339-352
- Type III open tibia fractures: immediate antibiotic prophylaxis minimizes infection.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 1-6
- Low adherence to recommended guidelines for open fracture antibiotic prophylaxis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021; 103: 609-617
- A simple initiative to decrease time to antibiotic prophylaxis for open fractures is durable after 2 years.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e932-e939
- Decreased time to antibiotic prophylaxis for open fractures at a level one trauma center.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 596-599
- American College of Surgeons Trauma Quality Improvement Program.Best Practices in The Management of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2015; (Available at:) (Accessed February 25, 2022)
- Helicopter emergency medical services crew administration of antibiotics for open fractures.Air Med J. 2013; 32: 74-79
- Pediatric prehospital wound prophylaxis in Iraq and Afghanistan.Mil Med. 2020; 185: 73-76
- Prehospital antibiotic prophylaxis for open fractures: practicality and safety.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2019; 23: 385-388
- Cefazolin use in patients who report a non-IgE mediated penicillin allergy: a retrospective look at adverse reactions in arthroplasty.Iowa Orthop J. 2012; 32: 100-103
- A fatal adverse effect of cefazolin administration: severe brain edema in a patient with multiple meningiomas.Drug Healthc Patient Saf. 2016; 2016: 9-12
- Emergency physician awareness of prehospital procedures and medications.West J Emerg Med. 2014; 15: 504-510
- Information loss in emergency medical services handover of trauma patients.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2009; 13: 280-285
- Assessing clinical handover between paramedics and the trauma team.Injury. 2010; 41: 460-464
- Impact of a standardized patient hand-off tool on communication between emergency medical services personnel and emergency department staff.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2021; 25: 530-538
- Prospective study of clostridium difficile intestinal colonization and disease following single-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991; 35: 208-210