- •Early STRATEVAC is a French military specificity. This political choice ensures that wounded French soldiers are repatriated to France 24 hours after their injury.
- •The French military health service easily deploys an anesthesiologist/intensive care physician to provide medical care during the flight, accepting the risk of overtriage.
- •The majority of severe patients evacuated from the Sahel do not require intensive care during the flight.
- •Greater use of emergency physicians, especially for transporting stabilized patients, would provide more personnel trained in long-distance air transport.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Focused empirism: from the case report to the data report.Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2018; 37: 11-12
- Five years of prolonged field care: prehospital challenges during recent French military operations.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 1459-1466
- The damage control resuscitation and surgical team: the new paradigm for management of combat casualties.Mil Med. 2022; 187: e275-e281
- Aeromedical evacuations within the French armed forces: analysis of 2,129 patients.Mil Med. 2020; 185: 468-476
North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Standardization agreement 3204: aeromedical evacuation. Available at: www.transfair.fr/casestudies/STANAG-3204.pdf. Accessed March 23, 2022.
- Strategic air medical evacuation of critically ill patients involving an intensive care physician: a retrospective analysis of 16 years of mission data.Injury. 2021; 52: 1176-1182
- Air medical-evacuated battle injuries: French Army 2001 to 2014 in Afghanistan.Air Med J. 2017; 36: 327-331
- Aeromedical evacuation of critically ill patients in developing countries. A retrospective study on 244 patients in Djibouti.Med Sante Trop. 2015; 25: 397-402
- Diagnoses and factors associated with medical evacuation and return to duty of service members participating in operation Iraqi freedom or operation enduring freedom: a prospective cohort study.Lancet. 2010; 375: 301-309
- United Kingdom military aeromedical evacuation in the post 9/11 era.Aviat Space Environ Med. 2014; 85: 1005-1012
- Critical care aeromedical teams (CCATT): then, now and what's next.J Trauma. 2007; 62 (S35)
- Collective aeromedical transport of COVID-19 critically ill patients in Europe: a retrospective study.Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2021; 401000786
- How do we fight COVID-19 ? Military medical actions in the war against the COVID-19 pandemic in France.BMJ Mil Health. 2021; 167: 269-274
- MoRPHEE” fighting COVID-19.Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2020; 39: 363-364
- Emergency medicine specialization: the French and Belgian perspective.Eur J Emerg Med. 2021; 28: 252-253
- Ten years of en-route critical care training.Air Med J. 2017; 36: 62-66
The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of the Ministry of Armed Forces or of the French military health service.