Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Secondary Traumatic Stress in Emergency Services Systems (STRESS) project: quantifying personal trauma profiles for secondary stress syndromes in emergency medical services personnel with prior military service.J Spec Oper Med. 2021; 21: 55-64
- Secondary Traumatic Stress in Emergency Services Systems (STRESS) project: quantifying and predicting compassion fatigue in emergency medical services personnel.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2021; 20: 1-12
- Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in healthcare workers: a ten-year systematic review.Acta Biomed. 2020; 91e2020009
- Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys.J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71: 1617-1628
- Death by suicide—the EMS profession compared to the general public.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2019; 23: 340-345
- Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in a nationwide sample of operational Norwegian ambulance personnel.J Occup Health. 2008; 50: 406-414
- Suicide among the emergency medical systems occupation in the United States.West J Emerg Med. 2021; 22: 326-332
- Association between a history of child abuse and suicidal ideation, plans and attempts among Canadian public safety personnel: a cross-sectional survey.CMAJ Open. 2018; 6: E463-E470
Population demographics for North Carolina 2016 and 2015. Suburban stats. 2016.https://suburbanstats.org/population/how-many-people-live-in-north-carolina. Accessed July 5, 2016.
- About us.2016Accessed July 5, 2016)
- Census urban area delineation program.2010Accessed October 5, 2015)
North Carolina Department of Commerce. Where the jobs are: supply and demand for labor in North Carolina's regions.https://www.nccommerce.com/blog/2016/12/13/where-jobs-are-supply-and-demand-labor-north-carolina%E2%80%99s-regions. Accessed February 14, 2020.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Questionnaire and Adult Attachment Interview (AAI): implications for parent child relationships.Child Abuse Negl. 2014; 38: 224-233
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adverse childhood experiences presentation graphics. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/childabuseandneglect/acestudy/ace-graphics.html. Accessed October 12, 2019.
- Psychometric properties of the Life Events Checklist.Assessment. 2004; 11: 330-341
- The Concise ProQOL Manual.2nd ed. ProQOL.org, Pocatello, ID2010
- The impact of event scale-revised: psychometric properties in a sample of motor vehicle accident survivors.J Anxiety Disord. 2008; 22: 187-198
- Psychometric properties of the IES-R in traumatized substance dependent individuals with and without PTSD.Addict Behav. 2008; 33: 1039-1047
- Measures for acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder.in: Antony MM Orsillo SM Practitioner's Guide to Empirically Based Measures of Anxiety. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York, NY2001: 255-307
- Prevalence of and risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999; 56: 617-626
- A systematic review of suicidal thoughts and behaviors among police officers, firefighters, EMTs, and paramedics.Clin Psychol Rev. 2016; 44: 25-44
- Office of the Surgeon General, National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention. National strategy for suicide prevention: goals and objectives for action: a report of the U.S. Surgeon General and of the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention.US Department of Health & Human Services, Washington, DC2012
- Stress and knowledge of suicidal others as factors in suicidal behavior of high school adolescents.Issues Ment Health Nurs. 1992; 13: 95-104
- Childhood abuse, household dysfunction and the risk of attempting suicide in a national sample of secondary school and university students.Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2014; 7: 379-383
- Survey reveals alarming rates of EMS provider stress and thoughts of suicide.JEMS. 2015; 40: 30-34
- Suicidal ideation, plans, and attempts among public safety personnel in Canada.Can Psychol. 2018; 59: 220-231
- The prevalence and correlates of lifetime psychiatric disorders and trauma exposures in urban and rural settings: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R).PLoS One. 2014; 9e112416
- Violence exposure, psychological trauma, and suicide risk in a community sample or dangerously violent adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 435-442
- Psychological autopsy studies of suicide: a systematic review.Psychol Med. 2003; 33: 395-405
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and completed suicide.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 171: 721-727
- Combat exposure and risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors among military personnel and veterans: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2015; 45: 633-649
- Resilience and suicide in special operations forces: state of the science via integrative review.J Spec Oper Med. 2019; 19: 57-66
- Suicide risk factors and risk assessment tools: a systematic review.Department of Veterans Affairs Evidence-Based Synthesis Program, Washington, DC2012
- Military health system conference: the challenge and the promise: strengthening the force, preventing suicide and saving lives.US Department of Defense, Washington, DC2010Accessed December 23, 2013)
- Army deployments to OIF and OEF.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2010
- Suicide after leaving the UK Armed Forces: a cohort study.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e26
The authors would like to acknowledge participating emergency medical services agencies for their contribution to this project.