- •Transport ventilators have technical limitations on peak inspiratory pressures.
- •The patient's current ventilator settings must be considered before the launch of an aircraft.
- •Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation should be considered in cases of status asthmaticus and cardiovascular collapse.
- •There may be some utility in considering alternative “rescue” modes of ventilation during transport.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rates and characteristics of intensive care unit admissions and intubations among asthma-related hospitalizations.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2004; 93: 29-35
- Management of severe asthma exacerbation: guidelines from the Société Française de Médecine d'Urgence, the Société de Réanimation de Langue Française and the French Group for Pediatric Intensive Care and Emergencies.Ann Intensive Care. 2019; 9: 115
- Review article: management of acute severe and near-fatal asthma.Emerg Med Australas. 2009; 21: 259-268
- Tunnicliffe. Management of life-threatening asthma in adults.Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain. 2008; 8: 95-99
- Clinical review: severe asthma.Crit Care. 2002; 6: 30-44
- Severe refractory asthma: an update.Eur Respir Rev. 2013; 22: 227-235
Farkas J. Asthma. Available at: https://emcrit.org/ibcc/asthma/. Published October 29, 2019. Accessed August 16, 2020.
- REBEL Cast Episode 11: The Crashing Asthmatic.REBEL EM blog. June 1, 2015; (Available at:) (Accessed Augest 16, 2020)
- Asthma.in: Marx JA Hockberger RS Walls RM Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Mosby, Inc, St Louis, MO2014: 941-958
- Core EM: life-threatening asthma.2015Published October 21,Accessed August 16, 2020)
- Intravenous epinephrine in life-threatening asthma.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 41: 706-711
- Ketamine in status asthmaticus: a review.Indian J Crit Care Med. 2013; 17: 154-161
- Medication regimens for managing acute asthma.Respir Care. 2018; 63: 783-796
- Does intravenous magnesium reduce the need for hospital admission among adult patients with acute asthma exacerbations.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 65: 702-703
- Intravenous or nebulized magnesium sulphate versus standard therapy for severe acute asthma (3Mg trial): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2013; 1: 293-300
- A pilot prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of bilevel positive airway pressure in acute asthmatic attack.Chest. 2003; 123: 1018-1025
- Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation for treatment of respiratory failure due to severe acute exacerbations of asthma.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 3CD004360
- The use of heliox in critical care.Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2014; 4: 138-142
- Adjunct therapies for refractory status asthmaticus in children.Respir Care. 2017; 62: 849-865
- Mechanically ventilating the severe asthmatic.J Intensive Care Med. 2018; 33: 491-501
- A protocol for helicopter in-cabin intubation.Air Med J. 2018; 37: 306-311
- Prehospital anaesthesia performed in a rural and suburban air ambulance service staffed by a physician and paramedic: a 16-month review of practice.Emerg Med J. 2014; 31: 65-68
- Observational study of the success rates of intubation and failed intubation airway rescue techniques in 7256 attempted intubations of trauma patients by pre-hospital physicians.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113: 220-225
- Scandinavian SSAI clinical practice guideline on pre-hospital airway management.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2016; 60: 852-864
- Recommended practice for out-of-hospital emergency anaesthesia in adults: statement from the Out-of-Hospital Emergency Anaesthesia Working Group of the Emergency Medicine Research Group of the German Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2016; 33: 881-897
Hamilton T1 Transport Ventilator technical specification. Available at: https://www.hamilton-medical.com/en_US/Landingpages/HAMILTON-T1.html. Accessed August 16, 2020.
- Clinical review: mechanical ventilation in severe asthma.Crit Care. 2005; 9: 581-587
- Is there a role of applied PEEP (PEEPe) in controlled mechanically ventilated severe asthma exacerbations?.in: Paper presented at: American Thoracic Society International Conference, San Diego, CA2018 (May 22. Available at:)Accessed Augest 17, 2020.)
- Pattern of lung emptying and expiratory resistance in mechanically ventilated patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Intensive Care Med. 2004; 30: 1311-1318
- Early application of airway pressure release ventilation may reduce the duration of mechanical ventilation in acute respiratory distress syndrome.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43: 1648-1659
- The 30-year evolution of airway pressure release ventilation (APRV).Intensive Care Med Exp. 2016; 4: 11
- Ventilating patient with refractory hypercarbia: use of APRV mode.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10 (UD01-UD2)