- •Nasal endotracheal intubation is a challenging procedure in extremely low–birth weight infants.
- •This is particularly true in the acute neonatal transport setting when a prompt radiologic confirmation of the tube position is not available.
- •We propose a new weight-based equation to obtain the midtracheal position of the endotracheal tube tip for nasal intubation of extremely low–birth weight infants (the “Genoa formula”).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The impact of Italian regionalisation on transporting neonatal patients back from the neonatal intensive care unit to the referring level two unit.Acta Paediatr. 2017; 106: 1358
- Endotracheal tube depth in premature newborns.Respir Care. 2019; 64: 491
- Factors associated with adverse events during tracheal intubation in the NICU.Neonatology. 2015; 108: 23-29
- Endotracheal intubation in neonates: a prospective study of adverse safety events in 162 infants.J Pediatr. 2016; 168: 62-66.e6
- The impact of postintubation chest radiograph during pediatric and neonatal critical care transport.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2013; 14: e213-e217
- Development of a novel reference nomogram for endotracheal intubation in neonatal emergency transport setting.Acta Paediatr. 2019; 108: 83
Razak A, Faden M. Methods for estimating endotracheal tube insertion depth in neonates: a systematic review and meta-analysis [e-pub ahead of print]. Am J Perinatol. doi:10.1055/s-0039-3402747, accessed .
- Weight-based guide overestimates endotracheal tube tip position in extremely preterm infants.Am J Perinatol. 2019; 36: 1498-1503
- Novel measurements of the length of the subglottic airway in infants and young children.Anesth Analg. 2013; 117: 462-470
Available at: http://mobile.nicutools.org/. Accessed September 30, 2020.
- Orotracheal intubation in the newborn infant: a method for determining depth of tube insertion.J Pediatr. 1979; 95: 1050-1051
- Techniques to ascertain correct endotracheal tube placement in neonates (review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 9CD010221
- Accuracy of the 7-8-9 rule for endotracheal tube placement in the neonate.J Perinatol. 2006; 26: 333-336
- Endotracheal tube length for neonatal intubation.Resuscitation. 2008; 77: 369-373
- Efficacy of modified Tochen's formula for optimum endotracheal tube placement in low birth weight neonates: an RCT.J Perinatol. 2018; 38: 512-516
- Optimal insertion depth for endotracheal tubes in extremely low-birth-weight infants.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2018; 19: 328-331
- Nasal versus oral intubation for mechanical ventilation of newborn infants.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; 1999CD000948
Maiwald CA, Neuberger P, Mueller-Hansen I, et al. Nasal insertion depths for neonatal intubation [e-pub ahead of print]. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. doi:10.1136/archdischild-2020-319140, accessed .
Nicutools Web App Version 1.927. Available at: https://nicutools.org/. Accessed September 30, 2020.
The present study is part of an MD degree thesis (M.M.) and a postdoctoral thesis (G.P.).