Aeromedical prehospital care has seen an increase in the use of point-of-care-ultrasound (POCUS) in recent years. Prior research has focused on abdominal trauma exams by physician or advanced practice providers. In this study, we describe the implementation of an ultrasound curriculum designed for Flight Nurse assessment of pneumothorax and esophageal intubation.
The study team conducted three one-hour training sessions over two months. The training curriculum included didactic and hands-on components. We enrolled twelve flight nurses with no prior ultrasound experience. A pre- and post-test was administered consisting of fifteen questions.
The median pre-test score was seven correct for an average of 45.0%. After the training session, the median post-test score was fourteen correct for an average of 90.6%. The training intervention resulted in an average improvement in score of 45.6%.
While not examining skill acquisition, we are encouraged by the implementation of this curriculum for future ultrasound education in esophageal intubation and pneumothorax.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Current status of emergency department attending physician ultrasound credentialing and quality assurance in the United States.Crit Ultrasound J. 2016; 8: 6
- Trauma ultrasound feasibility during helicopter transport.Air Med J. 2000; 19: 144-146
- Prehospital ultrasound in emergency medicine: incidence, feasibility, indications and diagnoses.Eur J Emerg Med. 2010; 17: 254-259
- The F.A.S.T.E.R. trial. Focused assessment by sonography in trauma during emergency retrieval: a feasibility study.Injury. 2008; 39: 512-518
- M-mode ultrasound for the detection of pneumothorax during helicopter transport.Am J Emerg Med. 2012; 30: 1577-1580
- In-flight ultrasound identification of pneumothorax.Emerg Radiol. 2016; 23: 3-7
- Confirmation of correct tracheal tube placement in newborn infants.Resuscitation. 2013; 84: 731-737
- Techniques to ascertain correct endotracheal tube placement in neonates.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 9CD010221
- Diagnostic value of sonography for confirmation of endotracheal intubation in the emergency department.Anesth Pain Med. 2017; 7: e58350
- Evaluation of a training curriculum for prehospital trauma ultrasound.J Emerg Med. 2013; 45: 856-864
- Use of prehospital ultrasound in North America : a survey of emergency medical services medical directors.BMC Emerg Med. 2014; 14: 6
- Transtracheal ultrasound for verification of endotracheal tube placement: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Can J Anaesth. 2015; 62: 413-423
- Capnography alone is imperfect for endotracheal tube placement confirmation during emergency intubation.J Emerg Med. 2001; 20: 223-229
Published online: March 02, 2019
© 2018 Air Medical Journal Associates. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.