Recent advances in technology have made the use of ultrasound (US) a possibility in air medicine. A handheld US machine that appears promising as a diagnostic tool within the helicopter theater was developed recently (Sonosite Corp., Bothell, Wash.). Several air medical programs have begun using US as the focused abdominal sonography for trauma (FAST) examination during helicopter transport.
- Price DD
- Wilson SR
- Murphy TG
Trauma ultrasound feasibility during helicopter transport.
Air Med J. 2000; 19: 144-146
- Melanson SW
- McCarthy J
- Stromski CJ
- Kostenbader J
- Heller M
Aeromedical trauma sonography by flight crews with a miniature ultrasound unit.
Prehosp Emerg Care. 2001; 5: 399-402
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Air Medical Journal
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trauma ultrasound feasibility during helicopter transport.Air Med J. 2000; 19: 144-146
- Aeromedical trauma sonography by flight crews with a miniature ultrasound unit.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2001; 5: 399-402
- Ultrasound training for emergency physicians—a prospective study.Ann Emerg Med. 2000; 7: 1008-1014
- Ultrasound in HEMS: its role in differentiating shock states.Air Med J. 2003; 22: 33-36
- Echocardiography performed by emergency physicians: impact on diagnosis and therapy.Ann Emerg Med. 1988; 17: 150-154
- Focused abdominal sonogram for trauma: the learning curve of nonradiologist clinicians in detecting hemoperitoneum.J Trauma Injury Infect Crit Care. 1999; 46: 553-562
- Optimized management of polytraumatized patients by prehospital ultrasound.Unfallchirurg. 2002; 105: 986-994
- Evaluation of an instructional model for emergency ultrasonography.Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 5: 58-63
☆Presented at Airmed 2002, Interlaken, Switzerland, September 2002, and the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, Boston, MA, May 2003.
© 2004 Air Medical Journal Associates. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.